Tuesday, April 28, 2020

YTunes Shuffle With Steve Lava's Song Nuggets

Steve “Lava” Lavapies is an executive Producer and writer who has run a number of TV and digital shows with an emphasis on comedic reality shows.

These are the songs he brought to the show and and a few tidbits about the artsists:


COCTEAU TWINS---”Pale Clouded White” (1985)
The band took their name from the song “The Cocteau Twins” which was recorded by Johnny and the Self Abusers...eventually changing their name to Simple Minds.


THE BEATLES “Across The Universe” (1968)
John Lennon wrote this song after an argument with his first wife, Cynthia. He said “I was lying next to [her] in bed, and I was irritated....it drove me out of bed. I didn't want to write it, but I was slightly irritable and I went downstairs and I couldn't get to sleep until I'd put it on paper.”
This was the song that inspired Liam Gallagher from the band Oasis, to write songs.

X “Universal Corner” (1981)
Singer/bassist John Doe was also a successful actor and can be seen in movies like “Road House,” “Wyatt Earp,”and was a regular on the tv show “Roswell.”


DAVID BOWIE “Starman” (1972)
This song was influenced by “Over The Rainbow.” Lol Tolhurst of The Cure wrote in his memoir his vivid memory of watching Bowie performing this on television thinking “I knew he was singing...to me and everyone like me. It was a call to arms that put me on the path that that I would soon follow.”



RADIOHEAD “Exit Music (for a film)” (1997)


The song was written for the Baz Luhrman film “Romeo and Juliet” with Leonardo DiCaprio. Thom Yorke said he had a half formed song and then became totally obsessed with Johnny Cash's prison tapes.

If you loved this episode or want more music connection, shoot us a message at ytunesshuffle@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment